Montgomery: St. John’s Episcopal Church
St. John’s was organized in 1834 by pioneer settlers and is the oldest Episcopal parish in Montgomery. In 1855 a larger church was built, designed by the nation’s foremost church architects Wills & Dudley of New York, which comprises the narthex and nave of the present church. By 1869, more room was needed and the church was torn down, its bricks used to build the present chancel and sanctuary. Further expansion took place in 1906, at which time Italian mosaic tile was laid on the floor of the enlarged chancel. The church’s windows include stained glass by Charles Connick of Boston and Louis Tiffany of New York.
Photo Credit: Lewis Kennedy