Monroeville: Courthouse Square
Three courthouses have flanked the Monroeville Courthouse Square over the years. First was the antebellum courthouse, which was replaced with a new courthouse in 1904, followed by the present day Monroe County Courthouse. When To Kill a Mockingbird was published in 1960, the 1904 courthouse gained national fame. In 1963, county offices moved to a new building on the square. The former courthouse became the Old Courthouse Museum, which opened full time in 1991 with the first production of a play adapted from To Kill a Mockingbird performed in the courtroom. The Monroeville Downtown Historic District is centered on the courthouse square and the streets that border it.
Photo Credit: Chris Granger